Saturday, January 24, 2015

Fantastic Mashed Cauli

On the path to wellness, I've learned that certain foods just don't agree with me. White bread. I eat it and feel like I've gained 40 lbs. Other foods agree with me, but aren't necessarily healthy. Garlic mashed potatoes, for example. Butter, cream cheese, more butter, and a pound of potatoes. So when my beautiful friend Amie shared a recipe for garlic mashed (wait for it) cauliflower *gasp*, I thought I'd give it a try. I mean, how bad could it be?

Those that know me well will attest to the fact that veggies are my thing. I'll eat spinach, kale, asparagus, peppers, pretty much anything other than mushrooms, before I will reach for a piece of fruit. I love cauliflower, but mashed? Hmmmm...

I decided to make it for dinner tonight, along with grilled chicken and asparagus. Let me tell you, this was ridiculously easy to make, has little in it (other than cauliflower -- points for healthy veggies), and tastes ah-maaaaazing. Truthfully. My fiancé, Dave, is a big fan of classic garlic mashed potatoes, and even he loved it.

The original recipe, Garlic Mashed Cauliflower, is from allrecipes.com. Since I don't have a food processor (mine broke) which was called for, I hand-mashed the cauliflower, then put it in a blender. After it broke down to the consistency I wanted, I scooped most of the cauliflower out, and then put the garlic and oil in to blend it into the cauliflower.

I also chose, in advance, to swap out cream cheese and replaced it with low fat sour cream, which made the consistency more watery, like grits, not thick mashed potatoes -- take note -- but has less fat and sodium. I also added a little applewood smoked salt to mine. Dave added horseradish to his, a teaspoon worth for a 1/2 cup of mashed, and he said it was an excellent addition. I think next time, I will do it without the grated cheese, add a little more sour cream (or perhaps 1/2 tsp of cream cheese, in addition to the sour cream, to thicken it up), and mix in some fresh cilantro.

I invite you to try it out, modify if you'd like, and let me know what you think.



Garlic Mashed What?!


1 head organic cauliflower, cut into florets
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, smashed
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black
pepper
1/2 teaspoon applewood smoked salt (optional)
1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream



Put cauliflower in a pot with water and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

While it's cooking, put extra virgin olive oil and smashed garlic clove in a pan and cook until softened.

Drain cauliflower, put it in a bowl, and hand mash it. If you have a food processor, put the cauliflower in, half at a time, and blend until you reach the desired consistency. Put a small amount into the blender, along with the garlic and olive oil until fully incorporated. Add back to cauliflower bowl.

Add grated cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix well. Serves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment