Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mexican Egg White(ish) Muffin

I love nothing more than an egg white omelet. Egg whites are like a blank slate for the ingredients that go inside.

After seeing a recipe for egg muffins, shared by my friend and blogger (at The Jersey Momma) Debbie Zelasny, I decided to make some. Not being fond of the flavor of the yolk, I searched for some egg white recipes and found a few. Nearly all of them required at least a few yolks, and since I am not sure why (perhaps it has something to do with the ability to hold the muffin's shape), I decided to use a few in my recipe, as well.

Mostly every recipe allows for any type of vegetable you desire (some people cooked theirs first, others didn't), so I felt confident that I could take my favorite omelet and make it into a muffin.

Mexican Egg White(ish) muffin. 30 minutes from start to finish.

This recipe is as easy as making breakfast, provided that you have a muffin tin and some really good non-stick spray. Mine calls for cheese, three types of veggies, one type of herb, and eggs. I found that putting some of the cheese on the bottom of the muffin spots will create a solid floor for them, and then topping the veggies with the remaining cheese keeps the top from having veggies pop out. Also, be sure to dry out your vegetables, after rinsing them, with a paper towel. You do not want added moisture in your muffins.

Cheese on bottom, veggies, pour egg mixture over, then more cheese on top. Notice how much non-stick spray I put on the muffin tins. They popped out with ease. 

You must spray your tin very well with non-stick spray so that the muffins lift out easily. Do not skimp on spray.

When you fill these up, fill them to the top, and carefully move them to the oven (middle rack). Cooking times varied, but mine took about 25 minutes. When they are ready, they will almost look like popovers.

This is how they look when they are just about ready to come out of the oven. I let mine brown for a few more minutes, to get a nice golden color.

After I made these, I ate one, then put them on a plate, uncovered, in the freezer, for about 35 minutes (prevents sticking to one another). I then put them in a freezer zip lock and stored them in the freezer. When I want to eat one, I can just pop it in the microwave to warm it up.

Mexican Egg White(ish) Muffin
59 calories per muffin

12 eggs (whites only -- I cooked the yolks to give my dogs)
3 whole eggs
3/4 c Sargento Reduced Fat Four Cheese Mexican
1 small heirloom tomato
1 small green pepper
1/2 small white onion
handful of fresh cilantro
2 T 1% low fat organic milk (milk makes the muffins fluffy)

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray. Set aside.

Dice pepper, tomato, and onion. Tear cilantro into small pieces.

Beat the eggs and egg whites together, along with the milk. Divide cheese in half.

Take one half of the cheese and distribute evenly into the 12 muffin spots in your tin. Scoop equal parts of the vegetables and cilantro and put over the cheese (should be about 2/3 full (not packed, but loose)), then pour the egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle remaining cheese across tops of the muffins.

Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until top is puffed up and golden. Let sit for a few minutes, then hand lift the muffins out of the tin. They are somewhat delicate, so using a utensil may damage them. If you sprayed the tins enough, they should release easily.





1 comment:

  1. Yours look so fluffy and pretty! How long do you put them in the microwave for after you take them out of the freezer?

    ReplyDelete