Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pure Popcorn

Tell me, please tell me, that you are as horrified by microwave popcorn as I am. It's pure chemicals, it's expensive, and frankly, it doesn't taste very good.

For the past nine years, I've been using a stove top popper that required me to turn a handle to keep the kernels moving so that they wouldn't burn. A royal pain in the ass. So when my second stove top popper fell apart, I went out looking for a new one. 

Though I was unable to find what I was looking for, I found a different type of popper and it's just so much better. I got the West Bend Stir Crazy Corn Popper, took it home, and made some popcorn for my son. I used Boy Scout kernels which, apparently, are premium grade, because they over popped right out of the machine. I measured for regular kernels, so next time, I will put in less than the recommended cup.

Anyhow, I put in some canola oil and kernels, turned it on and left the room. It's automatic, so I didn't have to turn a handle, while still being a clean pop. There is a spot on top where you put your butter, that then melts all over the popped corn. It reminds me of the air popper we had when I was a kid. I am thrilled. 

Cleaning it is a breeze. Just a little soap and water. The user manual has all sorts of recipes (sugar and spice popcorn, molasses popcorn balls, stir crazy crunch) and it was pretty cheap. About $20, at Target. Ditch your microwave, and get yourself one of these bad boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment