Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Go Ahead, Make My Daybed

I'm deciding to make this a quick blog. The story behind it is long and messy, and I haven't got the energy to rehash it. Between a long-drawn out social break up*, hours upon hours of gardening, and endless discussions regarding renovation (or lack thereof) plans, the building of the bed was the final straw.

In short, my son is having some sort of renovation done to his bedroom. It's not too small, but it's a dormered space, so most of his room has a slanted wall. It also has old carpet and childish wallpaper. The carpet's being removed, to expose the beautiful wood floors, the wallpaper is being torn down, and the walls are being freshly painted. The slanted wall is being ripped out so that we can repitch the roof and get him a little more headroom.

Since my son is being displaced temporarily, I decided to put a daybed with trundle in our office/guest room. They are expensive, so in an attempt to save money, I decided to buy one online and build it myself. It was rough. The building instructions says that two people are needed, but since the only other person in the house was my son, I had to build it myself. It wouldn't have been hard had I not had to balance the heavy pieces in the upright position while attaching the nuts and bolts. It wouldn't have been hard if I didn't have to balance the spring mattress frame on my knees while I screwed it to the bed rails. At one point, in exasperation, I called my son into the room telling him in no uncertain terms that he needed to help me. Poor guy.

In the end, after a couple of hard hours of work, some old fashioned bitching, and a puncture wound in the top of my right foot, the bed is done. I am very happy with it.


Now, if only I had a pair of wire cutters to release the trundle. Anyone?

*I watched the Housewives of NYC for the first time in a year last night. Kelly B. breaks up with her friend, Ramona, after three years. She says that after three years, it either works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, it's time to move on. It makes perfect sense. If only Ramona would respect her decision, and leave her alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment