Friday, December 30, 2011

Whatever. Bizarroland.

I had been wanting the book Whateverland for a couple of months now. I had no idea what it was about, but knew that Alexis Stewart (daughter of Martha) co-wrote it with Jennifer Hutt and, apparently, told readers about a different side to Martha Stewart. I thought, perhaps, it was a memoir, but after receiving it for Christmas, learned it was a life lessons sort of book. But funny. And with some great messages. I'm only about 50 pages in, but these are blurbs worth reading and (quirky) lessons worth learning. Ironically, I don't personally like Alexis Stewart, but in the book her dry humor is somewhat endearing. She and Hutt are no longer friends, making the whole thing feel like you are looking at a wedding album while the same couple in the photos are getting divorced. Anyhow...

Don't pop in. Hutt says that when someone does, she chooses not to answer the door.
I do the very same thing, and later tell the person (who popped in and said,
"But your car was in the driveway!") that I was in the shower. And as Hutt mentions,
calling from the driveway doesn't make it okay.

"Either you're generous or you're not. There's no halfway. I don't want strings attached."

Bake obsessively, but don't eat any of it, even the batter off your hands. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment