Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dad's Post to Daughter on Facebook (commentary)

Last night, I saw a post on a friend's facebook page. It was of a father reading a post his daughter had written about his parenting, their family, and her life at home. 

It's been all over facebook since then, and people are either very opposed to what this father did, or love it.

The biggest criticisms have been that he calls her spoiled, and that her being spoiled is his responsibility. Other comments have been that he should have talked to her privately, rather than put this up on facebook. 

As a mother, whose child may be perceived as spoiled, I can say that there is a fine line between giving your kids every opportunity and gadget they desire because you want them to have the best, and spoiling them. This dad admitted to have been living on his own at 15, working, going to school, and volunteering for the fire department. It's my guess that he wanted his daughter to have more than he had at her age, not to spoil her. Giving kids things don't spoil them, so long as they are reminded that getting them is a priviledge, and I don't doubt this father did that (based on what he said in the video).

It's also my guess that he did talk to her privately, countless times, over and over, as all us parents do, and let me say that kids will push the boundaries to see where they begin and end. My 11 year old does it all the time. He's not spoiled and we all communicate with one another. Still, he tests the boundaries.

In my eyes, this father has had it with his daughter's acting out, and needed to make a grand gesture to let his 15 (OMG, 15!) year old know that he is paying attention and holding her to higher standards than she'd like to meet. And it would be my very big guess that she will NOT end up on any teen mom shows. He's not permissive, and he's not giving up. He's taking her to task.

I know that a lot of you will disagree with this post, but I thought long and hard about writing this. When I showed the video to my son today, I asked him if he agreed with the father, or thought that he was being unfair. Ironically, he agreed with the father. 

It took a lot of nerve for this father to post what he did, knowing that he would face tons of criticism. I believe he did it out of love. I can only expect that he is getting both kudos and criticism for what he did. Personally, I give him a lot of credit.

Here's the video. Please watch the whole thing from beginning to end before making a judgement. Thanks so much.


2 comments:

  1. me too... read more here. he doesn't want her to get any publicity from it, and any money he receives (compensation, whatever), he is donating to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/16902396/father-shoots-daughters-laptop-after-disrespectful-facebook-post

    ReplyDelete