Monday, July 18, 2011

If You've Got the Thyme, Dash to Denville

I like local, independent stores and restaurants. I will go to a chain, like Whole Foods, if necessary, but generally I try to support businesses that are doing it on their own. After hearing from my friend KScorna about a new store that was opening in a neighboring town (Denville), I really wanted to check it out.

It took a few weeks for me to get there. The kids' schedules have been crazy, to the point that summer seems more stressful than the school year, at least in terms of scheduling. Our weekends have been busy with endless plans, and I hadn't really found myself in a position to check out this new store. Until today.

W and I really needed a day to relax and be alone, to really have no schedule and do whatever we pleased, just the two of us. The only part of our day that was scheduled was a new installation of his photography that we were going to put up at the Atlantic Rehabilitation Institute in Morristown. (You must check it out, btw. It's amazing.) We've done this quiet a few times together, and working as a team is both fun and rewarding, so it doesn't really feel like work. Before hanging the photographs, we had an early morning breakfast at our favorite spot, Pete's Denville Diner, and I happened to notice that the new store I'd wanted to check out, that is located just down the street from the diner, was open. They open at 9 a.m. on Sunday, which is a smart business move since so many people go for breakfast and coffee downtown on the weekend.

Dash of Thyme is a cozy yet airy space full of fun stuff for foodies. It is owned by two friends, one of whom was at the store this morning. Dash is packed with different types of seasonings from Chef Jim (I got the Jamaican Jerk blend), and various sauces and spreads. Today, they were sampling Stonewall Kitchen's Blueberry Jam. In addition, they have packaged sweets, most of which were unfamiliar to me, which makes it all the more exciting.

I can't pass up anything made with goat milk. Got a package of these
goat milk caramels made with chocolate, and sea salt. W and I both really enjoyed them.

What I especially love is that they have a giant vat of extra virgin olive oil in the store, with a spout attached for pouring. If you choose to buy the olive oil, they fill an empty glass bottle while you wait, and then when you run out, you bring the bottle back for a refill, at a slightly lesser cost (I believe refills are $12.95). It's fresh, fun, and eco-friendly.

They also sell kitchen decor, so even if you aren't a big cook, there's fun stuff for you. The have cool coffee mugs that have a spoon slot in the handle, and a ceramic spoon place inside of it. Great for those who add milk and sugar to their coffee. They have plates, serving trays, baskets, aprons, kitchen signs. My kitchen is done for now, but I did see something I couldn't pass up. They have a display overflowing with reusable bags, both snack size and sandwich size, in the coolest patterns. The bag material feels something like oil cloth (not sure what it is), and is dishwasher safe.

Check out my fun find from Dash of Thyme. This Lunchskins
reusable bag even has a spot designated for the user's name.

The Lunchskins bags are very cute and functional. I got the shark design, so I have a fun way to carry around my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. It was between that and a cool crab pattern. I may have to go back for the crab pattern this week, since I can't stop thinking about it.

I didn't stay too long, as W was waiting and we had a show to hang, but I will definitely be revisiting the store. Locals should check it out. It's at 49 Broadway, to the right of where the Fireside used to be. Tell them the Domestic Goddess sent you.

Follow me on facebook by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh. Okay, I have to go. R they open on Mondays?

    ReplyDelete