Monday, January 24, 2011

Show and Tell Monday - Frida Kahlo

I found this item for kt40's Show and Tell Monday, while looking for something last week. I also have a show and tell ready for next week, and it's all about the wonderful and talented (did I mention generous?) Katy Keuter. So stay tuned...


Here, my beautiful, hand painted wooden necklace with Frida Kahlo on the front. I saw it years ago on ebay, and had to have it. Ironically, I've only worn it a few times, but it is one of my most favorite things.


Bought on ebay, signed Tracy '05
On top, it's written "AMOR", because Surprise! Look what, or should I say who, is on the back...


Diego Rivera! 


Kahlo and Rivera are two of Mexico's most famous artists. However, they are also known for having a turbulent love affair that lasted over thirty years. When they met, she was a 15 year old schoolgirl, and he was her teacher. And did I mention that he was married? Nothing happened, not until six years later when they happened to meet each other once again. Thankfully, he was divorced (whew!) and the two fell in love. They married a year later.


A young Frida Kahlo
Years into the marriage, Rivera had an affair with Kahlo's younger sister, which devastated her, causing the marriage to crumble to an end in 1940. Ten years later, when Kahlo's health was in severe decline, Rivera married her once again. People speculated that Kahlo used her poor health as a means to drag Rivera back into her life. Regardless, she was dying and passed away in 1954 with Rivera beside her.


Artists and lovers Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo
I can't stand infidelity. I think it is the most unforgivable breach of love and trust. However, I do like that Rivera and Kahlo stuck together through the ups and downs of 30 years of living. Perhaps it's not a fairy tale romance, but does make for an interesting story.


Rivera kisses Kahlo

7 comments:

  1. I always thought that she was too good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you anonymous! This is really one of those love is blind tales. I love the necklace I think that is very chic that you wear her around, she had such great style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for visiting my show & tell :)
    this necklace is a very cool piece with both artists on there - what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @gnubee: I am loving katy's show and tell. I will be visiting yours every Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Diego Rivera's paintings, but always thought he was a cad. Thanks for sharing your cool necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, he is a cad, for sure.
    Thanks for the compliment on the necklace. I wish I knew the artist's full name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great necklace & loved hearing the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete