Thursday, February 3, 2011

Don't Be Such a Chicken

While I was getting a pedicure last Friday, I noticed that the Rachael Ray Show was on the salon's television. Normally, I don't watch the show, but when it coincides with my pedicure, I enjoy catching the cooking segment. I have to admit that I miss the Rachael Ray I used to watch on The Food Network, the one who only cooked, and did so in her fake (set) kitchen. Her new talk show format takes away from her ability to pull together a meal in a way that is both entertaining and easy. I feel like she sold out, and that her heart prefers being in the kitchen.


But I do love watching her cook, and this episode was no exception. She showed a recipe for the best of her easy recipes. I watched, hoping that it wouldn't take the Sandra Lee shortcut method, and I was impressed. It was an easy, healthy chicken recipe made with whole foods.


I watched as she made the recipe, and took mental notes on how to do it. And while I probably could have done it just based on what I'd seen, I went to the website as soon as I got home to get the complete recipe. I pitched it to W, to see it he'd try it for dinner one night, and he was game.


The verdict: I made the recipe for us tonight, modifying it to limit the sodium (used crumbled goat cheese in place of feta -- a 200 mg difference) and found it to be easy and tasty. W said that he loved it just the way that it was (thanks, baby), and I loved it, too, but next time I will use less onions and will make sure that they are finely chopped. They were a bit too big for me.


I have modified the recipe and I am sharing it here, with you. The original recipe is called Lazy Baked Greek Chicken, but since I've changed it, I'm naming my modified recipe after the goddess of the hunt, Artemis, who is referred to here as "a super sexy tomboy virgin goddess".


Artemis, by artist Hrana Janto


Artemis's Greek (domestic) Goddess Chicken
  • 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 medium onion, chopped (dice it really well)
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, well chopped
  • one 10 oz box organic chopped frozen spinach, thawed (put in a towel and squeeze out the water)
  • salt and pepper
  • freshly grated nutmeg (or none, do not use pre-grated, it's a different flavor)
  • 2 T butter
  • 3/4 c panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • 1/4 c crumbled goat cheese


Preheat oven to 425*. Heat 1 T olive oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic, cooking until softened (about 3 - 4 minutes). Transfer to a bowl, then add the spinach, salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. 


Melt the butter in the same pan you used earlier, throwing in the panko breadcrumbs, and toss until coated and crispy. Allow to cool.


Drizzle a baking dish with the remaining 1 T olive oil. Butterfly the chicken breasts so that they open like a book. Put them in the baking pan, open, and pile the spinach mix onto the bottom half of the chicken, allowing it to overflow at the edges. Fold top over the spinach, and top with the breadcrumbs (I just pat them on top, and they stay nicely). Bake in the oven until well-cooked and juices run clear. About 20 - 25 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. I used to love watching rachel rays cooking show, her in her funky little kitchen and I have made quite a few of her recipes. I haven't seen her new show it (isn't here yet) but I did catch a clip of it on yahoo news and I must say I was disappointed it did not seem as cozy and personal and down to earth as her original show. Oh well….This recipe looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the set isn't cozy. It's actually sort of cold. I think she was at her best doing her 30 minute cooking shows. This recipe is so good, and super easy. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete